Thursday, December 2, 2010

A Panic of Joy

When Carolyn and I went down to the Christmas market for the first time last week, I said the silliest thing. We came though a little tunnel connecting the streets and all the little wooden booths were being set up, there was a massive Christmas tree in the middle of the street and I was so over come by it all that I exclaimed, "I'm having a...panic...of...joy!"

Extreme, yes, but I think that is probably the best way to describe how happy I am here. Its like being in a snow globe, a living story book!  There is so much to do and to see, but I'm not rushed. I have all the time in the world!

This Tuesday, Bryn and I took the train downtown to an exclusive little botique and she bought the most beautiful wedding gown. She looks (and feels!) like a princess in it. It wasn't even all the way zipped up when she squealed, "This is it! This is my dress!"
Upon arrival, we lounged in these Alice in Wonderland-esque chairs and were served still water in little glass tumblers.

After she had made the decision, which really wasn't a decision at all, we walked down to a little Mexican place called Chico's and had amazing chicken quesadillas and chips with guac. It was yummy! Then she headed off to pick up the precious boys she nannys for and I stayed downtown to do a little Christmas shopping. 

The view from Chico's

Later in the afternoon, I met up with some friends from work, Rey and Catie, and we did a little window shopping, drank some yummy gluewein, and went ice skating! None of us fell, and we were completely impressed with ourselves!

The skating rink is set up in the middle of the Christmas Market, which is by the schlossplatz. I thought the color of the sky was incredible. And I still can't believe this is what I get to see on a regular basis!

When we were skated out, with aching feet and sore lower backs and freezing cold hands and cherry red noses, we split up and headed our separate ways home. I hopped on the train and then realized that I had no house key and would be locked out for at least an hour before someone was back at the apartment! Being the clever girl that I am, I got off the train in Vaihingen, which is a short taxi ride away from the base I work on, hailed a taxi, and walked the rest of the way once on post to the Patch Shopette, where I surprised Carolyn by knocking on her door! I told her all about my adventures of the day and then we headed home together at 7:00!

Of course, there are time when I feel like crying, like last night at work when I royally screwed some paper work up and almost burst into tears in front of two boys I work with, my manager, and a store full of customers, but I didn't! And we got everything worked out and the boys were being so sweet, telling me about times when they had screwed something up big time and my manager gave me a shoulder pat and showed me the right way to do it and told me his tricks for remembering it correctly. Good people up at the Shopette, lemme tell ya!

Now that I know how much of the world there is left for me to see and discover, I'm not sure if Siloam Springs can contain me, or I, Siloam Springs! We shall see what the future, and the Lord, has for me! In the words of Dr. Seuss, I feel like I'm starting to happen:

It's opener there
in the wide open air.

Out there things can happen
and frequently do
to people as brainy
and footsy as you.

And then things start to happen,
don't worry. Don't stew.
Just go right along.
You'll start happening too.



1 comment:

  1. Love this Molly. "a panic of joy". God bless you daughter, as you continue to discover all the joy there is to be found... Love you!

    ReplyDelete