Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Staatsgalerie Stuttgart

On Saturday, I headed downtown via train to explore the Staatsgalerie, an art museum. It was amazing! 42 rooms of masterpieces. The first room I walked into was Abstraction - Figuration by Neo Rauch, a German national who's work is haunting, but I just couldn't look at them long enough. Another artist that caught my eye was Max Beckmann, another German artist. He lived and worked during the expressionist movement, but his "expressions" are quite different from those of Monet, Manet, and that lot.

Beckmann's Girl with Banjo and Mask

Surrealism and the work of Salvador Dali, among others, was another of my favorite rooms. I think what I like about surrealism is the attention paid to intricate details and the "surreal" subject matters that are often very complex.


Salvador Dali


Then I got to the Picasso rooms. And Oh My Gosh! I love Picasso. I wish I could marry Picasso! (Actually, I've read he was quite the womanizer and plus he's dead...so maybe not) The Staatsgalerie has a wonderful Picasso collection. One website claimed that it was one of the largest in Europe. I'm not sure about that, but it was wonderful. 

The great thing about Saturday was that even though I had a great afternoon, I barely got through half of the museum! And since Saturdays are free admitance, I have a feeling I'll be spending many more lovely afternoons there.

No comments:

Post a Comment